Monday, March 17, 2008

facta cum honore

During my lunch break today I was thinking about what I should write about in my next blog. As I sat there sipping my coffee my units motto ‘Facta Cum Honore’ crossed my mind. In Latin the phrase facta cum honore means ‘achievement with honor’. As I dwelled on that phrase I was overcome with a sense of pride in serving my country. Looking out the window over post I was filled with pride to be serving in the greatest country in the world. It’s amazing how much the Army has changed my view about life in general. Three years ago before I even enlisted in the military I never thought I would find myself in the position that I am today. I never thought I would be serving my country in the Army. Now I find it to be the greatest achievement of my life to be an American Soldier.
Thinking of the Soldier’s Creed in which we as an Army base ourselves upon is extremely motivating. Maybe this sense of patriotism is overcoming me because we are preparing to deploy and I want to keep my head held high. Or maybe this Army thing is really starting to grow on me more and more.
Reading the Soldier’s Creed below I’d like you to understand the honor of what it’s like to wear the uniform today.

"I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States and live the
Army Values.

I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough,
Trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I will always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage and destroy
The enemies of the United States of America
In close combat.

I am guardian of freedom and
The American way of life.

I am an American Soldier."



Maybe its finally kicked in of who I am supposed to be, an American Soldier. Achievement with honor...

Wilcox out

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Our Family said...

We are so proud of you Tom and thankful for your bravery! We love you! Ryan, Jen and Elle

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home